Rhodium Plating 101
Date Posted:20 April 2021
Rhodium is an extremely rare ultra-white metal used as a coating for other metals.
It is frequently used on jewellery, especially rings, due to the following benefits:
- Enhances the lustre and light reflection of the metal, especially white gold.
- It can also be used on Silver and Platinum
- It's heavier than gold so provides a protective coating over the metal and settings
- Enhances brilliance of diamonds
- Can hide small imperfections in the metal
- Can be used to change the appearance of yellow gold to white gold
Gold is not naturally white, and white gold is created by taking pure gold (which is yellow) and mixing it with other white metals such as silver and palladium.
It is recommended that white gold rings be Rhodium-Plated every 12-18 months, depending on how often the item is worn and general wear and tear. This is extremely necessary as yellow gold is stronger than the other white metals, so eventually the yellow colouring will shine through.
My Jewellery shop offers a Rhodium plating service starting at $80 per ring and this can usually be completed in around a week.
Give us a call on (07) 5572 9009 to learn more or visit us at our Gold Coast location. Our friendly, knowledgeable staff look forward to seeing you soon so that we can help you with all your jewellery repair needs.